The value of the documented knowledge mapping approach is that it identifies critical knowledge assets and informs how knowledge flows from one process/area to another. In undertaking this exercise an organization can identify bottlenecks or areas where knowledge is not flowing as it should. Once this is understood, action can be taken to free up or recognize knowledge that has previously not be accessible or accessed.
Areas that would benefit from this approach include:
- preparation of regulatory submissions
- investigation of deviations and non-conformances
- (acceleration of) development processes (through bettrer leverage of prior knowledge)
- decision making support at stage gates
- control strategy development (with QbD, CPV and Risk mgmt.)