Explaining the business case for change around water in biomanufacturing. Working to support industry education around water stewardship and to improve water efficiency through decarbonization and circularity, noting the energy/water nexus.
Biologics manufacturing processes are water intense and water is cheap
- Biologics manufacturing processes are water intense and moving to water stewardship is not seen as an industry priority
- Clean water is scarce in many geographical areas, which risks operational shutdowns
- Direct costs for water are relatively inexpensive, which may deter organizations from implementing water efficient strategies
- A lack of industry knowledge and expertise, as well as a lack of widely-accepted, innovative/technical solutions, inhibits the use of reduce/reuse/recycle technologies, especially where regulatory and quality requirements are considered
- Regulatory challenges can differ significantly according to region (local issues)
- There is a lack of alignment across the industry on water strategy
Industry understanding of its role in water stewardship, helping prioritize investment to areas of greatest, in turn mitigating water risk impacts to business
- Potential manufacturing shutdowns in water scarce locations means increased risk of not getting medicines to patients as neededInability to meet water reduction targets
- Reputational impact to companies and wider industry
- Lack of best practices leading to increased costs and duplication
- Clearly defined elements for water strategy
- Identify the most environmentally sustainable technologies, water efficiency solutions (circular economy techniques) and practices
- Identify the most appropriate standards for biopharma industry alignment
- Support companies to identify and achieve their Sustainability Plan goals on water
Q -Improved water management across the industry through collaboration and leadership
Q – Measurable action on water stewardship
$ – Investments prioritized to areas of greatest need to help mitigate water risk impacts to business
S – Regulatory blockers removed
More related workstreams
Our workstreams focus on the areas with the greatest impact across the industry. Led by science, our members are problem-solving today’s sustainability issues. By working with the regulatory governance community, they are also creating future-ready outcomes for the industry.
To find out more about how BioPhorum can help your business, enter your details below and a member of our team will be in touch.